The Role of the Student Advocate is to:
- Listen to the needs and concerns of students.
- Educate students on university policies and procedures.
- Communicate with students to assist them in devising a solution or strategy to their problem or finding alternatives.
- Gather information and make inquiries in cooperation with the student.
- Refer students to the appropriate office or person both on and off-campus or contact the office or person on the student's behalf.
- Follow up with the student to be sure the situation has been resolved, the question has been answered, or they have made the necessary contact.
The Student Advocate assists students with a variety of issues that may arise as students journey through their experiences at IUPUI. Listed below are several issues the Student Advocate can provide support for and help students navigate though, including:
- Grade changes
- Financial aid
- Fee disputes
- Clarifying university policies and procedures
- Conflict mediation
- Community referrals
- Campus referrals
Remember that IUPUI’s Student Advocate wants to help you succeed!
In order to create a safe place to voice concerns, evaluate issues, and identify options, the Student Advocate respects the confidentiality and privacy of all persons. Exceptions are only made with expressed permission from the student or as required by law, including if there is a perceived imminent risk of serious harm.
The mission of the Student Advocate is to help students resolve problems by offering objective consultation, promoting self-advocacy, and providing information on campus and community resources.
The Student Advocate is committed to:
- Empowering students to advocate for themselves
- Fostering citizenship within the campus community
- Equipping students with information about the university's policies and procedures
- Providing a clearinghouse of resources to support students
- Offering outreach efforts to educate students, staff, faculty, and community partners about the role of the Student Advocate
To advance the mission, vision, and goals of the Student Advocate, we believe in:
- Personal responsibility
IUPUI Student Advocate
Campus Center, Suite 350
420 University Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Phone: (317) 278-7594
Fax: (317) 278-9904